Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Milk, please."

So, this guy walks into the bar and orders two glasses of milk. Not one. Two. Nice enough guy, but how often do you get that kind of order? Almost never. Sure, you get your occasional orders of milk with the chocolate souffle (because who doesn't like a cold glass of milk with a hot chocolate dessert), but with the salmon? I don't mean to be judgemental, but this was an unfamiliar food-beverage paring for me. However, it got me thinking about the role of milk in classic cocktails. I'm not talking about White Russians here... I'm talkin' about:

Scotch & Milk
2 oz. blended scotch
5 oz. milk
1 oz. simple syrup

Brandy Milk Punch
2 oz brandy
1 oz simple syrup
4 oz milk
ground nutmeg for garnish

(or if you're begging for a real hangover)

Tom & Jerry
12 eggs
8 tablespoons vanilla extract
24 ounces Bacardi 8 rum
4 dashes Angostura bitters
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups whole milk

Ouch! This recipe serves 8-12 (depending on the crowd), but if you serve this crazy mess, I guarantee there will be hell to pay the next morning.

I think I'll just save the milk for my Captain Crunch and coffee.