Monday, August 3, 2009

Ramos Gin Fizz: Part 4


This weekend I continued indulging my Ramos obsession, and I decided to do something crazy: I followed the actual recipe to a tee. The results were so good that I'm afraid that I'll be making them for my girlfriend and myself every weekend, and will certainly get "Ramos Elbow". She insists that she won't put me through the shake-o-rama too often, but I can tell that we both enjoyed them way too much for this to be the end of it. The powdered sugar helped with the frothiness, the heavy cream somehow became light, and the orange-citrus-vanilla balance was complex and refreshing.

Lessons learned:
  1. I suggest using club soda rather than mineral water. The sodium in most mineral water can make your fizz have an slight Alka-Seltzer aftertaste which competes with the more delicate citrus-orange flower combo.
  2. I also cannot overemphasize the importance of going light on both the vanilla and the orange flower water (see Ramos Gin Fizz: Part 3 below).
  3. Use tall glasses so you can have room for plenty of soda water.
Once again, I encourage you to check out the Fizz, as made by legendary New Orleans bartender, Chris McMillian.

2 comments:

keli Rivers said...

Murry from Zig-Zag taught me a fun trick of taking the coil off the strainer for the dry shake. Then removing it once you shake with ice. I like using crushed ice- it seems to make "ramos elbow" only start appearing my drink number 8, but by that time you are on drink number 8! know any good places in sf that the bartender won't roll their eyes when you order one?

The Bar said...

Yeah, the ol' spring in the dry-shake works great! I haven't tried crushed ice, though. Doesn't it water it down a bit?

As to places to get a RGF... Honestly, I haven't had the heart to ask anyone to make one locally for a while. I think the last place I had it in town was about eight years ago at the Washington Square Bar & Grill in North Beach. It was unremarkable... but then again, the guy had just opened the place, and we four bartenders hit him up after a night of, um, shall we say, "research and development". It wasn't pretty.